zm_fubar_towers_v4

GiGaBiTe

Cleaned up the dependency issues and made a custom navigation mesh for the map. Everything is packed into the BSP so that no external files are needed.

Mortis didn't change much between v2 and v4 as far as I can tell. The two big changes are that the map doesn't "leak" to the void anymore, and the annoyingly loud garage door was fixed to not make your ears bleed. I may do a remake of the entire map later, because there are still a ton of issues with the map as it is.

The bots can get to most places in the map, but will have trouble with the more complicated jumps and the glass catwalks.

Sg0oM6e.png

https://www.mediafire.com/file/xyays8ciq39vid9/zm_fubar_towers_v4.zip/file

• Like 2

I don't like renaming existing compiles of maps, because it can cause some internal BSP structures to have strange behavior. When a map is compiled, a few things are tied to the BSP name itself. I've seen texture issues, like them going missing, corrupt normals, broken specular maps, etc. The cubemaps in particular also tend to get screwed up, because the Source engine treats a BSP like a folder in a file system when reading internally stored resources. So if the cubemaps were originally zm_fubar_v4 and you rename it to zm_fubar_v5, the engine is still looking for them in the old directory and won't find them, resulting in default cubemaps everywhere.

These issues may have not cropped up in this map, because it doesn't use cubemaps or custom textures, but I like to be on the safe side.

I would be concerned about differing BSP versions, but this map is 16 years old, and very obscure. There aren't going to be many people today that still have it. And those that do are probably going to know how to delete their local copy of the map and download it. Since you had version 2 on for so long, I don't think it will be much of an issue.

I wouldn't take the risk to require all the players go and remove the map file from their maps folder.

Most of the players still wouldn't know what to do in this situation, as removing a map from from their maps folder.

Could you consider renaming the map, or we could use the nav file to be downloaded seperately?

If you already put the above version on the server, you can't go back to the original version or the situation you predict will happen. If you haven't uploaded this version, here's the nav file by itself.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6yxq5ufzcupyr83/zm_fubar_towers_v4_nav.zip/file

The map will be missing the sounds for the rave room and the exit doors on map start, but they're not terribly important.

• Like 1